Mother's Day is upon us and I am yet again reflecting not only my role as a mother but the role that my mother has played in my life.
When I think about my mom and the best way to describe her, I think of the word "giver." Anyone who has ever spent any amount of time with her immediately picks up on her giving spirit. She's that person that will bend over backwards, even if it's completely inconvenient for her, to be helpful to a situation. She's the ultimate hostess, always sensitive to one's feelings, always ready with a positive thought or suggestion to life's trials, and is never one to say "no" if she can help it.
My mother has given me so much. She's given me the obvious things: a loving source of support, the basic necessities of life, guidance and wisdom through all the different stages of my life. She's also given me incredible foundations, those of Faith, Hope and Love, that I carry with me constantly and strive to teach to my own family. She has given me the example of the type of mother that I'd like to be to my children. The type of mother who teaches her children to be confident, humble, selfless and gracious. The type of mother who unconditionally supports her children yet teaches them to be independent. The type of mother who instills the value of family in her children and lives out those family values on a daily basis.
My mother is an incredible woman and I'm so grateful that she's in my life.
When I think about trying to express my gratitude for all of the wonderful things my mother has given me, I become tongue tied. How do you appropriately thank someone who blesses you on a daily basis? I don't think all of the "thank you's" in the world will even come close to cutting it.
But I hope my mom knows how much I love her and how much I idolize her. I hope she sees how much she enriches my life and how she inspires me on a daily basis to be a better wife and mother myself. I hope that I can carry forward the values that she has taught me to my children and that they will teach their children. I hope that my mother's teachings and lessons will live on for many, many generations, molding the lives of even our great-great grandchildren and beyond.
I hope that my mother feels so, so special as we honor her this Mother's Day and I hope that in the days beyond that she continues to feel the gratitude that I feel everyday.
Happy Mother's Day Mom! I love you so much, you're an amazing mother-in-law, and you're an incredible grandmother to my boys. Thank you for all of our "givings." They bless us everyday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
What a sweet post, Kristen. Happy Mother's Day to your mom and to you!
Thanks so much Liz! And a very happy Mother's Day to you too!
I remember one of the first times I was around everyone at Noel. We were at your parents' house for Thomas' baptism. Your mom more or less wrapped her arms around me, took me in and made me feel so comfortable in a room filled with people I didn't really know that well at the time. She has such an ease about her. She's naturally gracious. I see those same qualities in you!
AMEN to all that you said. She is a very special person to all of us!
Post a Comment