Monday, January 3, 2011

A theraputic note about our ski trip

When writing the posts about the ski trip, I totally forgot to share about our trip back to Shreveport.  Before traveling back, I was actually feeling much better about flying back with Thomas.  We had done it already so it should be a breeze right??  I felt like a pro! 

The Denver airport is set up with their airport security in the middle of the airport and everyone goes through the same area so it's always very crowded and can look quite intimiding if you ask me.  We took our places in line to wait to go through security.  I had my carry-on bag ready for inspection...packed with a level of organization that impressed even anal me!  We were poised and ready to remove shoes, jackets, strollers, etc so that we could zip on through the metal detector.  I was so confident and calm...very unlike me!  We made it through the metal detectors quite easily and had to go to a special inspection station so that they could look through my carry-on, since I had snacks, juice and medicine for Thomas.  As they were looking through my bag, the airport security officer would scan certain things in this little machine to make sure they didn't have explosives in them.  I was hardly paying attention to this process when all of a sudden, a bright red screen flashed when a bottle of unopened juice was scanned into the machine.  I asked what that meant and was told that traces of explosives were found in the juice!  I was then asked to step aside for a more "comprehensive" search...aka I was going to be patted down. 

Surprisingly throughout this whole ordeal, I was very calm.  One would expect me to freak out...here I was at the airport and being questioned about explosives on my possession.  It's my worst nightmare as my fear of flying grew from a fear of terrorists taking over every plane that I choose to ride on! (Yes, I know, it's very irrational)  But oddly enough, it was a very theraputic experience for me as I was very impressed at how thoroughly the situation was examined.  It really made me feel better about the quality of security at airports.  I even told them so as I was being frisked!

Now you may be wondering why the heck there were explosives found on the juice. It was an unopened travel bottle of Gerber juice and the most reasonable explanation that Adam and I could come up with was that the juice came in Thomas's stocking that year for Christmas at my parent's house. Adam had received these fire starter things in his stocking and in transferring our stuff back to our house, the two must have been put in a bag together, thus maybe causing the fire starters to rub against the juice getting some powder on it or something. The security officers obviously dismissed the whole situation and let us through. Guess they didn't find us too threatening! We boarded our plan and got home without any more excitment. It was a lovely end to an already lovely trip!

Goodbye Colorado...until we meet again!



No comments: