Monday, January 31, 2011

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might

One of my childhood memories was going to the St. Vincent Mall near our house with my grandmother, Nanny.  She was a "mall walker" and I would often go with her.  I would hope that our cruising would eventually lead us over to the nearby GapKids or Claires for a present =).

Anyways, in the middle of the mall was a large fountain.  I thought it was the neatest thing and would habitually stop and stare at the water as it fell, mesmorized.  I would also look down at all of the coins laying on the bottom, as if they were treasures.  My mind often took me to the scene in the movie, The Goonies, where they found themselves at the bottom of a wishing well with tons and tons of coins.  It was brought up that these coins were people's wishes.  They were people's dreams.  I would sometimes think about that as I stared into the water.  I was always in awe of that fountain for some reason.

Today, the boys and I headed over to a shopping center in the north part of Jackson.  It was an outdoor shopping center with some really cute stores.  It was nice to be able to get out, walk around, and ooo and ahhh at all of the cute things that were for sale.  In the middle of the stores was a courtyard with...you guessed it...a large fountain!  Of course Thomas had to go check it out!

I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree because he stared up at the water, in awe, and could have continued to stare had I not redirected him back to our shopping task.  As we were leaving to go home, we passed back by the fountain, only to find us being drawn back to it.  I decided to teach Thomas about throwing a penny into the water while making a wish.  Don't think he grasped the "make a wish" part but he sure loved to throw pennies into the water!  I bet the fountain profited a good 10 cents of our money in a single stretch!
Isn't it fun to think about your wishes and dreams over the years?  Isn't it interesting how some of them are still the same, even twenty years later?  Isn't it crazy how some of them are so the opposite of what you'd wish for now?  I don't know about you but I still wholeheartedly believe in wishes and dreams.  I still get giddy when I see a fountain and still look down for the treasures lying below.  I believe in wishing and dreaming for something and it coming true, just like in the movies.  Call me crazy but it continues to give life a magical flair, amongst all the yuck that can really bring you down sometimes.

These are the wishes and dreams...
...that bring a daily smile to my face!

May your days be filled with magic, good wishes, and great dreams!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I think one time Nanny had to get on to me for taking some pennies out of the St. Vincent Mall fountain... You can tell Thomas his Aunt Mamou didn't really grasp the "making a wish" concept, either.
On another note, I still love to dream and wish, as well. Thanks for your post... Just what I needed to hear :).

motherfuller said...

Nice post....food for thought...OK, I wish I had some food right now. Why does everything come back to food? There's a question to ponder....